Thursday, March 20, 2008

Worse than season 5 of Buffy, including "The Body"

Without You
By: Anthony Rapp

"Mark has got his work, they say Mark lives for his work, and Mark's in love with his work. Mark hides in his work." I suppose in many ways, I was pre-dispositioned to love this piece. An autobiographical work by Anthony Rapp, who originated the role of Mark Cohen in the musical Rent. As many of you know, that musical has influenced my life, and touched me in many profound ways that I I cannot even verbalize. I had to read this book, and am a surprised that it took finding it in a box, nearly two years after I purchased it, for me to open the pages.

Anthony Rapp bares his soul in these pages. The book begins when he auditioned for the first workshop cast of Rent, though as the story progresses, we get glimpses into earlier life moments. Over a few years, Anthony experiences love and loss and triumph and death. And death. Commonly known is, of course, the unexpected demise of Jonathan Larson, but less well known is that during that time, Anthony's mother had been battling with cancer.

Through the pages, you see Anthony come to terms with her fate, learning to express himself, his growing relationships with his family, and their acceptance of his sexuality. You also read this amazing backdrop of his life, as he takes his part in a landmark musical experience. I feel as though tears rested in my eyes through a majority of the read.

Early in the pages, Anthony mentions that, like Mark, he hides in his work. One would not believe it from this raw, honest tale. It does make me look back at my brief moment with Anthony Rapp, in which I walked up to him and, voice shaking, told him how much I admire his work, and asked if I could just shake his hand. He seemed taken aback, and I realize now that 10 years later, he's still impressed by what Jonathan Larson's work has accomplished. (And, okay, maybe the fact that I was wearing cat ears threw him off a bit). Still, I admire a man who grew up hiding his emotions, and as an adult can share them so openly in written form.

Anthony Rapp dedicates his book to his mother. I too, as always, dedicate everything I write, and every performance I give to my own mother.

And now, if you'll excuse me. I have a dvd to pull out of the "R" file and watch with a box of tissues, and possibly some chocolate.

No comments: