Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Judging a Book by its Cover

Water for Elephants
By: Sara Gruen

I picked this book up, literally knowing nothing about it. The back pages were covered with nothing other than praise for the piece, while the picture on the cover was vague enough for me to say “well, maybe it’s about a circus?” I must admit, I’m a fan of knowing little going into the story, because my expectations are minimal.

Water for Elephants is an interesting and exciting tale of life with the circus, as seen through the eyes of a man who stumbled his way into the life. Jacob Jankowski an old man, remembering his days with the Big Top. Days that involve animals, deception, love and murder. The circus world is easily explained to the reader; we learn as Jacob does.

Every few chapters, the author sticks a historical photograph into book, something I very much appreciated. Author’s notes explained that it was those very pictures that inspired her to write this piece. Often, I read books and imagine that it’d make a great movie. This was one of those times.

A fun, quick read. Definitely glad that I gave it a try.


No comments: