Sunday, December 7, 2008

A Mother and Daughter lose their dream

Recently I read two pieces of historical fiction by Philippa Gregory and while I enjoyed them both, I had a definite preference.

The book I preferred was The Constant Princess, a book about the early English years of Katharine of Aragon (otherwise known as the wife before Anne Boleyn). This book, told in her point of view, was a compelling tale of a Spanish princess taken from her home and thrust into a new country. Highly recommended. The story ends early in her life, years before Anne or Mary Boleyn enter the picture. You see not the old proud queen who watches her husband take lovers, but the young princess and queen who fights and never gives up. Currently my second favorite Gregory novel

Following this I read The Queen's Fool, a book told in the point of view of fictional Hannah Green, a young Jewish girl with "the Sight." Through the help of Robert Dudley and John Dee, Hannah finds herself at the court of Lady (and later Queen) Mary and caught between the battle between Queen Mary and her sister, Princess Elizabeth. While I enjoyed Hannah's story, it was hard after so many of Gregory's novels putting me into the minds of historical figures watching them from the outside. Hannah being in just the right place at the right time started to border on ridiculous and I found myself wanting more of Mary and Elizabeth. In another book of Gregory's I read she told the story from three point of views, something I feel may have worked better in this piece.

Still, I'm a fan of the author and look forward to reading more of her work.

No comments: