Sunday, June 1, 2008

An amazing journey

Come Back: a mother and daughter's journey through hell and back
By: Claire Fontaine and Mia Fontaine

Once again, I find myself reading a true tale about the love that parents and children feel for one another. Once again, I find myself sucked in, closing the pages with tears in my eyes. This time though, there were so many ways in which I could identify, that at times it was hard to tell where the pages stopped and my own memories began.

Well no, it was easy on a logical level to tell the difference - I was not by any stretch of the imagination a teenage runaway who was sent away to an alternative boarding school. Really, it was reading the interactions between Claire and Mia, acting the way that only mothers and daughters act toward one another. Also, on a more personal level, Mia's boarding school included some self help lessons that were all too familiar to me.

In these pages, you read the two characters grow substantially, see Mia go from an angry, hurt teenager to a innocent and wondrous adult. Claire turns from a mother whose life is her daughter, to a strong woman who loves herself as she loves her child.

I went into the book expecting to read about a mother and daughter as they dealt with each other, and while I did, more importantly it was reading these two characters as they learn to deal with themselves.

1 comment:

Traci said...

Yay, I'm so glad you read this, I love love loved it when I read it.