Thursday, February 14, 2008

Engaging and Heartbreaking

Picture Perfect
By: Jodi Picoult

I don’t know why it took me so long to get into this book. My busy schedule? The script staring at me from across the room, chanting memorize me, memorize me (totally did, btw)? The fact that I’d only open the pages late at night, as my eyes were already closing? I’ll never know.


It was only due to lack of time or extreme exhaustion that I put the book down. Picoult so beautifully describes this horrible marriage, these horrible situations. The characters are so well drawn, especially our two leads, that even with the horridness, I could find myself feeling sympathy for multiple parties, really hoping that they’d cure themselves.

I did, however, feel that the last ten or so pages were a bit rushed, that I would have enjoyed to read more about that time. Ten more pages perhaps, or even a few more well written segments. I also wanted more from the character of Ophelia, one of the few characters who I did not feel was especially developed in our story.

Still, this was my first book by Jodi Picoult, and after this experience, it won’t be my last.


1 comment:

Justus Outlaw said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.