Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Compelling

The Other Boleyn Girl
By: Philippa Gregory

I have a confession. I am afraid of historical fiction. As though by placing the book in my hand, I’m now compelled to finish something that is going to feel more like a text book rather than a piece of literature that I’m excited about. (Oddly enough, I love history and occasionally do read non fiction historical works.) Imagine my fear when I picked up a copy of the often recommended The Other Boleyn Girl and saw that there were 700 pages for me to get through. Oh well, I figured, purchasing it with a sigh, it’d probably take a week, but I’d get through it and find a new book to pour over.

That was Sunday night. Less than 48 hours later, the completed novel sits next to me, taunting me with the fact that I no longer can read the tales of Mary and Anne Boleyn. From nearly the first paragraph, I was fascinated. Philippa Gregory effortlessly explains the dynamic of England in the 1500s, and focuses more on character and plot development. Mary, Anne and their brother George become vividly alive as I turned each page.

I’ll admit, some of the dialogue is a bit heavy handed when you know what is to come. “I will be Queen, even if it kills me,” for example (possibly paraphrased). I was smart, I did not reacquaint myself with the history of the time, so many of the plot twists came as surprises to me. Often, I found myself reading a name a handful of times, before my brain clicked that yes, this person would become an important player later in the game. In fact, the one reason I’m thrilled that I have finished is now I can go to webpage after webpage, looking up which parts were actually based on historical fact and which were merely added for a further compelling story.

And of course, now I can’t wait for the movie. I will close by saying that Natalie Portman as Anne Boleyn is, I believe, perfect casting. Even before the book told me (by way of physical description) which actress would be playing which sister, I could hear Natalie Portman saying those lines of dialogue. I could picture her in the part so well, that I am thoroughly excited to see her play it out on the screen.

Good characterization, compelling plot twists – this book is definitely worth a read.

No comments: